Creating an audio recording or podcast is a simple way for people to access your content in iTunes U.
To use iTunes to convert your audio to MP3 or AAC:
- Open iTunes on your computer. iTunes is available as a free download.
- Add your recorded audio file to the iTunes Library by clicking File, and then selecting Add File to Library.The file should now appear in your iTunes Library. Double click on the tile icon to view it in a playlist style.
- Click on Edit and then select Preferences. Under the General tab, click the button labeled Import Settings. Be sure that MP3 Encoder or AAC Encoder is selected next to “Import Using.” Press OK.
- Next go to the Advanced tab in the same Preferences window. Here, you will be able to see your iTunes Music folder location. This is where iTunes will save any audio you convert. Please keep note of this location for when you want to retrieve the audio files to upload them to iTunes U. Press OK to return to the playlist screen.
- Right click the audio files you wish to convert and select Record MP3 Version or Record AAC Version (depending on which format you chose). An icon titled “Converting…” will appear to the left. When this icon disappears, there will be a new converted copy of your recording in the iTunes Music folder.
When browsing for your converted audio file, it is important to remember that iTunes sorts music in its Library by Artist and Album. If your recording does not have this information entered, it will appear in the directory iTunes Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album.
Recording and editing audio
Free software is available if you choose to record your audio directly onto your computer. Audacity is the most commonly used free audio recording and editing software, and it is available on both PC and Mac. Another option on the PC is Free Audio Editor, while many Macs have Garage Band pre-installed on them as part of the iLife suite of software programs. Here is an excellent instructional video that shows how to record and save audio in Audacity: